Saturday, June 23, 2007

Defended but Defenseless…

How long did it take me to get my PhD? Although to some of you reading this (especially Sean) it may seem like an eternity; however, it has only been four years, which is admirable in grad student terms. I am relieved to have everything behind me and thankful to my friends and family for their support. Unfortunately, I was diagnosed with mononucleosis the day before my defense. The doctor had the great idea of shooting me up with prednisone to help me make it through the day. There is nothing like the feeling of passing out in a public presentation because of all the synthetic adrenaline running through your body. In hindsight though, now that the shot is wearing off, I am happy I listened to him. The aches, pains, and fatigue have returned leaving me helpless on the couch. So, my big plans of mountain biking and swimming in the waterfalls I’ve missed the past few years, are no longer. But, I figure after my weight loss extravaganza and steroid shots I should be in good shape this fall for the end of the cycling season. At least USCF doesn't test us girls for doping, so maybe I can end on a good note. If you are in the area feel free to drop in. You know where I’ll be.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mel:

Congratulations!!!
Now that it's all over...
What is in the future for you two, now?

Melissa Weddell said...

Off to Georgia Southern University on July 23rd. So much to do! :)

Danna said...

Hmmm. 'roids. Are you getting ready to compete in Asheville?

Melissa Weddell said...

That is what I would need to do to win up there! :)~